Old February 1st 11, 04:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
binks

Default ASW20 or LS6

On Feb 1, 10:10*am, Sarah wrote:
Well, I knew this would be a get-out-your-popcorn thread, and it did
not disappoint. *You got a lot of good advice and some bad...

I'll chip in as an LS6 owner, who's never flown a '20.

The LS6 is another glider you wear rather than get in - space is
tight, for me especially headroom. *There is a moment of
claustrophobia for me when the canopy first closes! * I'm 5'10. * You
may need to take out the backrest.

Easy to fly and land, with a couple points. *That "0 incidence wing"
can be interesting on takeoff, as the roll seems to take forever. *You
do not have to mess with negative flaps for aileron control though -
the full span flaperons are wonderful at all speeds. *However I would
not want to try a 0-flap takeoff. *The POH says +5 or +10 with water -
leave them so until after release. * Speed control in the landing
pattern is important, so get some training in a slippery 2-place.

On Jan 30, 7:06*pm, binks wrote:

I am looking to purchase my first glider. I have been looking at the
ASW20 and the LS6. Any suggestions on which glider would be the best
all around? I have heard that the LS6 has a narrow cockpit. I am 6'2"
200 lbs. and would be wearing a parachute. Also heard that the ASW20
can be a little unforgiving to the uninitiated in the spin department.
Both seem to have very similar performance data. *All that being said
it is appearing to me it may be Ford vs Chevy

I am popping the second bowl of popcorn as I write. I never expected
to get this kind of response. Thank-you to everyone for their comments
both pro and con, good or bad I like to hear it all. Helps to make a
better decision. I have a friend that has offered to take me up in his
2 place high performance glass ship and I will look forward to that
later this spring, along with some training in some other more high
performance gliders also. I will be looking at both gliders before I
make a final decision. I am aware of the spare parts and support
issues with the LS models ,but I do not believe that it will be the
deciding factor in my final choice. Probably will be the way I feel
after I have sat in and inspected the quality of each of the gliders.
Of course If I do not fit into the ls6 comfortably than I guess the
decision will be easy.
Dave (c62)