View Single Post
Old February 29th 16, 07:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default should I buy a new parachute?

Just an opinion, but my impression is that a lot is up to the person who packs the chute. I believe the PIA recommends a max life of 20 years, a recommendation that many if not most riggers honor. Various reports seem to support the notion that condition is unrelated to life, per se, but that sun damage, for one, can increase over time and is a big threat.

I had an older chute that one rigger pull tested and pH tested (mandated by the manufacturer because of a small number of "acid mesh" chutes years earlier that didn't effect mine). He pronounced it in excellent condition and happily repacked it. But that was the last time I could find someone to do so. I finally bought a newer chute that doesn't fit me as well as the old one did.

Apart from the actual safety issues, liability is probably the biggest reason to buy a new(er) chute: in our litigious society, it's just tough to find someone competent who is willing to pack an older chute. So if your expert knows what he or she is doing, I'd probably be guided by his/her counsel (and availability).

Chip Bearden