Old May 28th 10, 03:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nine Bravo Ground

Default Help calculating Speed To Fly for headwind and tailwind

On May 28, 6:02*am, Andy wrote:
On May 27, 10:49*pm, Tim Taylor wrote:

Anyone have a good set of equations or example of how to do this
simply?

The fastest speed through the air mass will give the fastest speed
over the ground. *The wind does not change the speed to fly. *It only
impacts best glide speed to a landing.

So add 0xW for a headwind and subtract 0xW for a tailwind.

Andy

I think Tim means STF for final glide where you are flying in
reference to the ground, not the airmass. John Cochrane's analysis
shows that you have different lift strength targets for upwind/
downwind turnpoints as well, though I don't know if this extends to
STF. John?

I have the final glide formulae in a spreadsheet, including effects of
wind and wing loading, if you are interested.

9B