View Single Post
Old May 17th 20, 11:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom BravoMike
external usenet poster

Default The aerodynamics of a towplane in a kiting glider situation

I know there is a thread going on about and around the latest tragic accident from 5-9-2020 and I preferred to start a new thread as I felt uncomfortable going into a dry technical discussion in the context. So the issue is:

I would like to know more about the aerodynamics of the towplane in all those accident situations (and I mean above certain altitude minimum): Statistically, do they crash being stalled or in a deep dive? What is the usual reaction to the tail being pulled up - does the towpilot try to overrule the pulling glider and he gets into a stall? He cannot dive until the rope breaks. Recovering from a stall he has to get out of a dive anyway. So it seems that pushing down into a dive instead of trying to pull up would result in a smaller loss of altitude (and cause the rope to break earlier), rather than in the sequence: struggle to overrule the pulling glider - stalling (loss of height) - pulling out of a dive (loss of height).

Just thinking loud, curious if any research has been done and if so, to what conclusions? Does anybody know?