Old February 3rd 19, 01:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default K8b restoration

On Friday, February 1, 2019 at 7:29:38 PM UTC-6, John Foster wrote:
I was given a junked K8b due to water damage to the wood at the wing root and multiple tears in the original fabric and chipped/peeling paint. However, it looks like it may be restorable (worth it, that's another story). Anyway, I'm interested to know if there is an online repair manual that lays out the specific techniques of repairing or replacing wood in the wings, and specifications on what type of wood to be used, etc. I looked around and found the list of ADs, but nothing that laid out what I am looking for. I've contacted Schleicher as well, but they simply directed me to a link on their website, that didn't really give the information I needed. This is a certified glider, and I'd like to keep it that way, as I'm hoping to use it as a club glider.

I was one of the two co-editors of the translation of Hans Jacobs book Werkstattpraxis - Workshop Practice. All the information you need can be found in this book, and more importantly, the information is appropriate for the construction utilized to build the K8b. A few copies of the book are still available thru the VSA website, Cumulus Soaring in the USA, and Eqip Publisher in Germany.

Some repairs made using AC-43.13 or many other methods should be avoided, particularly spar repairs, since they add stress concentration. The methods in Workshop Practice are the best for wood airplanes of all types. The book also has several pages of addendum that I wrote to address items that have become available after the last edition of the book in German.

You should consider joining the Vintage Sailplane Association (VSA in USA) and/or the Vintage Glider Club (VGC worldwide, but HQ in UK). Check out their Facebook pages as well (Vintage & Classic Sailplanes or Vintage Glider Club). There are many postings every day and it is an excellent way to get questions answered. Thru these organizations, you should be able to find someone near you that can help you assess the condition of the glider and make appropriate decisions on how to more forward. You may also find important parts and lessons for others who have done the work before.

If you are in the USA, you could contact me directly thru email, my address is on the VSA website. I am also the Drawing Archivist for the VSA, and we can help you with drawings.

Best of luck with what I believe to be a worthwhile endeavor. ..... Neal