Old May 2nd 07, 05:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Masino

Default It only takes one...

Kyle Boatright wrote:
Long story short, the guy flew a normal downwind plus 2.5 miles, and his
downwind was literally a mile wide to boot...

So the airplane behind him (another Cessna) had to fly the same B-52
pattern, the Grumman behind *him* had to fly a B-47 pattern, and I followed
with a B-29 pattern. Two inbound aircraft recognized that the traffic
pattern was a mess and opted to do loiter outside the pattern to let things
correct themselves.

This has recently become a significant pet peave of mine. There are a
fairly large number of inexperienced private pilots at my airport, who
are all flying these ridiculously wide patterns. It seems to be the
"fault" of our one particular old flight instructor. All of his
students seem to do this, and it drives me crazy. He apparently flew
WWII transport size aircraft, so that may explain it. That Avweb
article that was cited was really good. I think I'll print a few copies
and leave it around the airport.

--- Jay

--

Jay Masino "Home is where My critters are"
http://www.JayMasino.com