Old November 16th 09, 12:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Morgans[_2_]

Default Seaplane motor-glider?

Anyone ever hear of a seaplane/amphibious motor-glider? I wonder if there
is one out there that I have never heard about.

If not, what do you all think about the possibility of creating one? Would
it be possible to have all of these qualifications in one aircraft?

I have toyed with the idea, and told it would be impossible, but I am not
totally convinced that it could not be done.

If you think of the shape of a pontoon on a seaplane, it is not all that far
away from a glider hull. You could modify the shape a little bit, perhaps
add a moveable surface behind the step to fair that part of the hill a
little, add a vertical fin with a cruciform or T-tail, and you have the
seaplane hull. Mount the wing high to have a place to mount the motor, or
make a power pod on the Laker seaplanes, or many other seaplanes.

How much HP would it need, and what wingspan and wing area would it take to
make a two place glider with rise off water capability? Parts of Western NC
are slim on places to land out with a glider, but there are lots of lakes,
so you would have a choice of landing or operating off of lakes, or cranking
up the motor and going back home if you run out of lift. It would be easy to
load up some water ballast, on days that ballast is called for, if you were
operating from a lake, too, huh? gg

Food for thought? I would love to have all three aircraft types in one, but
do not know of anything that exists at the present. Anyone know of one?
--
Jim in NC