Old April 28th 16, 04:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
N97MT

Default FAA sticks to its guns on not allowing solo glider flight for outof currency power pilots

So you still need to fly, with an instructor that can certify in the WINGS online program, that the flight modules have been completed and proficient to Practical Test Standards for the rating held.

Bill, can you please refer me to which regulation(s) and/or guidance(s) require the pilot to be currently rated in a Glider if they want to complete the Wings Phase in a Glider? 61.56(e) does not specify a requirement to hold any previous rating.

AC 61.91J also does not specify that the pilot must hold a particular category/class rating. Only that they hold an FAA Pilot Certificate and hold any required Medical current. Even Student Pilot certificate holders qualify for the program. By definition Student Pilots are not yet rated.

The FAASafety.gov website also does not specifically state that the pilot must be currently rated in any specific category. It seems to imply that completing a Wings Phase can be a part of a future rating.

Yes the add-on student still would need to fly with a CFI-G. I would propose completing the Wings Phase as a part of the add-on rating training before the sign off for solo. The Student will most certainly be ready for solo by that time.

Am I missing something?