Old July 11th 03, 09:12 PM
Eric Greenwell

In article ,
says...

I think the best way is to buy a new battery if you are notsure about
the condition of your old one. Cost about 30$ and gives a good
feeling.

I think i read somehere that the standard lead-acid-gel Battery can be
charged about 600 times. So everyone can can calculate how many years
the battery will be in best condition.

The number of charges varies greatly with how depleted it is when
recharged, so this number only applies to some batteries in use. For
example, the Powersonic data sheets shows about 220 recharges if the
battery is discharged 100% each time; about 1100 recharges for
discharges to 30%. This is to a 60% of original capacity life.

Also, age is a factor. Many pilots fly only 30 times a year, so even
220 recharges is 7 years, at which time the battery's capacity has
also diminished due to aging.

Your suggestion to change it if unsure is a good idea, especially if
it might be more than 5 years old.

--
!Replace DECIMAL.POINT in my e-mail address with just a . to reply
directly

Eric Greenwell
Richland, WA (USA)