Old November 7th 03, 07:12 PM
George Vigneron

Many years ago (early 60's) when my late father was a government
purchasing agent he told me about a typical gov. snafu.

Seems some "know it all" purchasing agent for a government agency (which
he refused to name as the litigation had just concluded) decided that
Snap-On tools were of course superior to Craftsman and others. So he
issued a large contract without competitive bidding. When the word got
out, Sears (Craftsman) sued and the judge ordered independent tests for
fit, strength, and durability. When the dust settled, Craftsman had proven
superior or equal in all respects. A large judgement followed. Dad had
subsequently received a cautioning memo from higher ups that all
contracts, especially for tools would be submitted for comp. bidding. And
no preference to Snap-On or others based on perceived reputation.

Entirely anecdotal but I believe my father wasn't lying.

For that and many other reasons, even back when I was wrenching as a
profession, I continue to buy mainly Craftsman, some Mac, some Snap-On,
and others. I buy based on quality and need, not a big name with a shiny
truck. I must admit that for some specialty tools, Snap-On gets the nod
more frequently as they cater to the professional mech. more than
Craftsman does.

George Vigneron