Old July 15th 08, 05:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jay Honeck[_2_]

Default OSH Sleeping

If you have a good quality tent, you will be neither too hot at night, nor
wet when it rains. Add a good quality air bed (the kind that put you up on
10" of air), and I will put the quality of sleep at Oshkosh up against any
night's sleep you've ever had.

I disagree with that. The best pads are about 1" deep. The higher you
sit and the more air in the pad the more heat transfer you're going to
lose. I would recommend spending the $120 at REI on a good terma-rest
pad. I've camped sub-zero many times without problems. The tent isn't
going to keep you warn because its too much mass. Keeping warm is 75%
about the pad and 25% about the bag.

Trust me -- the last thing you care about at OSH are "heat transfer"
problems. The 10" air bed is the single most important improvement in OSH
camping we've experienced.

In 25 years, I've been "cold" at OSH precisely once -- and that was during
the day. I actually bought a sweatshirt that year.

Most years, if it gets below 70 at night, count your blessings. The cool
night air feels good on the fresh sunburn...

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA