Old February 29th 12, 12:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

Default Question for UH or other RC personnel

On Feb 28, 6:37*pm, Don Johnstone wrote:
At 16:22 28 February 2012, Dan Marotta wrote:

I'm a simple person, honest, and generally unsuspecting. *If I understand
correctly, XCSoar v 6.2.6 has no AH capability. *It works just fine for my
needs and, frankly, none of the whiz-bang products will ever enable me to
win a national contest. *So, if XCSoar v 6.3 has an AH, it seems simple
enough to just not download and install it. *Look at the startup screen -
it
tells the version.

And, yes, I know a SW engineer or a hacker could make a simple source code
change to fake this but, as I said, I'm honest. *Are you? *If you're going
to win a contest or be a safe pilot, it will not be because of any device
you've got in your pocket or panel.

So what if the RC bans XCSoar or LK8000 or the Butterfly? *It won't be
money
out of Max's pocket.

Anyone thought of looking to see who gains from the banning of software by
certain providers? Someone will.

right because 60 odd years ago when the first rules banning
instruments which allow flight in clouds was written it was done so to
protect certain software companies.