Old February 4th 07, 08:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
chris[_1_]

Default "Rolling" to ATC

On Feb 5, 6:59 am, Mxsmanic wrote:
Under what conditions, if any, would you explicitly tell ATC that you
are rolling, that is, actually rolling on the runway for take-off?

I hear this used occasionally, but I don't know if there are any
formal circumstances that merit it, or if it is just at pilot
discretion, or what. It is normally independent of the readback of
the take-off clearance (which precedes it), although sometimes I hear
"Rolling" without a readback of the clearance.

In this country (NZ) we seem to hear 'rolling' from people who have
been trained at uncontrolled airfields and seem to bring that with
them when flying into controlled airfields. The rest of us don't
generally say it until we get to an uncontrolled airfield..