Old March 31st 04, 02:00 PM

In rec.aviation.owning Aaron Coolidge wrote:
: In rec.aviation.owning wrote:
: : I've got good eyes, and for some reason, it *is* a bit awkward to set the
: : temp/p-alt in a TAS indicator. Just a weird combination of numbers, I guess.

: : -Cory

: Try adjusting one in a Mooney. Instead of 0-10,000 ft it goes 0-18,000 ft
: in the same size window. Oh, yeah, the airspeed goes to 240kts also, so
: all the numbers are really small. Luckily, this Mooney has a Garmin 530
: and an air-data computer, so all you have to do is hit "AUX".

: PS, I do use the "Piper Truspeed" indicator in my plane all the time. I
: know what TAS I should have, when adjusted for temp & altitude. If it
: varies, there's something wrong.
: --
: Aaron Coolidge

I pretty much go by IAS. Given a MP, RPM, and Mixture combination, I know
what percent power I'm running. From experience, I know what IAS I should get with
that... anything else and something is different (like more aft loading, for
instance). Higher altitudes might mean better TAS, but you're usually affected more
by the higher winds aloft than by the IAS/TAS increase. As I said.... usually
something I fiddle with when BA (bored aloft)...

-Cory

* The prime directive of Linux: *
* - learn what you don't know, *
* - teach what you do. *