Old December 5th 03, 03:58 PM
Dennis O'Connor

Rules To Fly By And Not Run Out Of Fuel:

I routinely run the outboards dry on long cross countries (know your
airplane on this issue).. This cross checks my fuel burn against the clock
since I know exactly how much was in the tank when I selected it... Running
it dry removes fuel gauge error from the equation... I'm usually within five
minutes...

I fly by the clock, not the fuel gauge... If the gauge gets too far from
what the clock says it should be (either full or empty), we put down and
refuel to see what the heck is going on... this only happened once - a
sticky gauge

Lastly, I never get into the last hour of fuel for any reason... 60 minutes
of fuel left on the clock is "bingo time" and it is put it on the ground.. I
have landed and refueled just twenty minutes from my destination because I
hit bingo before I got there... One of the locals back at the home field
thought I was nuts... But then, he has had an engine run out of fuel while
taxing in from the runway one time, so what do you think I feel about his
opinion...

Denny - an old pilot...

"Dave Butler" wrote in message
Dan Thomas wrote:

Lots of old pilots didn't trust fuel gauges, which is still a
wise attitude.