Old August 14th 05, 01:02 AM
Jase Vanover

Default 1st passenger and in-ear headsets

A week after earning my license, I took my wife up for an hour flight today.
She has put up with the process of me spending 8 months earning the license,
so I wanted to "treat" her by being my first passenger.

No big details to add, other than the flight was great. Relatively strong
wind, 20 degrees or so off the runway center line, causing me some stress on
the landing... unfounded. Was as gentle a landing as can be done... duly
impressing my wife though I doubt she understood the complexities of a
crosswind landing.

The only downside was that the headset I rented for her caused some
problems. Yeah... it was a crappy headset to start with, but the weight and
clamping of it caused her discomfort enough that I don't think getting a
quality headset would really help. Her sunglasses were admittedly a poor
match for wearing a headset, but nonetheless, I don't think she'll put up
with a traditional design.

I went searching for solutions, and am considering getting her a Lightspeed
L1, Lightspeed Mach 1, or Clarity Aloft. These are all "in ear" headsets,
so don't have the weight or clamping pressure associated with "traditional"
headsets. I am optimistic this will serve her needs much better.

It is very important to me to ensure that she has as enjoyable an experience
while flying as possible. I want to fly, and if she doesn't, it will
obviously make things more difficult.

Does anyone have any experience with these in-ear headsets? Any advice or
tips for me?

The good news is that despite the headset problems, she LOVED the flight.
We flew low and slow... saw some sights, kept it short and made a picture
perfect landing. I'm sure I earned some brownie points that will make it
easier for upcoming purchases (see my next post a GPS unit) and I think
I have her talked into an x-country touring flight... yet to be planned.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Jase.