Old August 14th 05, 06:00 PM
ET

Chris Schmelzer wrote in
:

In article ,
"Jase Vanover" wrote:

A week after earning my license, I took my wife up for an hour flight
today. She has put up with the process of me spending 8 months
earning the license, so I wanted to "treat" her by being my first
passenger.

No big details to add, other than the flight was great. Relatively
strong wind, 20 degrees or so off the runway center line, causing me
some stress on the landing... unfounded. Was as gentle a landing as
can be done... duly impressing my wife though I doubt she understood
the complexities of a crosswind landing.

The only downside was that the headset I rented for her caused some
problems. Yeah... it was a crappy headset to start with, but the
weight and clamping of it caused her discomfort enough that I don't
think getting a quality headset would really help. Her sunglasses
were admittedly a poor match for wearing a headset, but nonetheless,
I don't think she'll put up with a traditional design.

I went searching for solutions, and am considering getting her a
Lightspeed L1, Lightspeed Mach 1, or Clarity Aloft. These are all
"in ear" headsets, so don't have the weight or clamping pressure
associated with "traditional" headsets. I am optimistic this will
serve her needs much better.

It is very important to me to ensure that she has as enjoyable an
experience while flying as possible. I want to fly, and if she
doesn't, it will obviously make things more difficult.

Does anyone have any experience with these in-ear headsets? Any
advice or tips for me?

The good news is that despite the headset problems, she LOVED the
flight. We flew low and slow... saw some sights, kept it short and
made a picture perfect landing. I'm sure I earned some brownie
points that will make it easier for upcoming purchases (see my next
post a GPS unit) and I think I have her talked into an x-country
touring flight... yet to be planned.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Jase.

You just need to try the in ear ones...I didn't like them at the EAA,
and even the lead audio engineer for lightspeed admitted that, for
very noisy aircraft (like 152, 172s) that ANR headsets were really
still better overall.

The in ear ones are WAY overpriced from how they feel and I wasn't all
that impressed with the lightspeed mach 1. The clarity aloft felt a
bit more substantial, but not by much.

The Bose Aviation X on the other side.....

I tried all three of the in the ear headsets at Osh. The lightspeed was
by far the worst of the bunch. The Clarity aloft was impressive, but I
was even more impressed by some "home-made" in the ear headsets around
the corner and behind the lightspeed booth. This is a guy who is an
audioligist making these things in his basement with real hearing aid
quality speakers. A good friend of mine bought a pair, they are about
60% of the cost of the lightspeeds. His site is:
http://www.quiettechnologies.com/ (cheaper too)

--
-- ET :-)

"A common mistake people make when trying to design something
fools."---- Douglas Adams