Old September 7th 06, 04:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob C

Default Tow pilot PIC

The tow pilot is definitely not the PIC of the combination.
I have flown gliders for hire at many airshows with
a private-rated tow pilot. We get ramp checked at
almost every show, and the FAA has never questioned
it.

At 23:48 06 September 2006, Btiz wrote:
The Tow pilot may be 'Flight Lead', but #2 is able
to terminate the
formation at any time at his discretion.

I know of no FARs that determine responsibility other
than 91.111 that I am
aware of.
And that simply states you cannot fly in formation
without the permission
and knowledge of every Pilot in the formation.

BT

'Bob' wrote in message
roups.com...
Did I read, or did I imagine it, that here in the
US when a glider is
being towed, the tow pilot is the Pilot In Command
of that combination
and as such, is the final authority of that flight?

Are there any FARs to support my curiosity?

Thanks,

Bob