Old September 21st 07, 09:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

Default SENATE FINANCE COMMITTEE SETS STAGE TO ELIMINATE USER FEES

Special Notice from AOPA President Phil Boyer September 21, 2007

== ATTENTION PILOTS ==

I apologize for the intrusion of another e-mail this week, but this one is
to not only convey GREAT news, but also to truly thank those of you who made
phone calls or communicated in any fashion with your Senator. This morning
the Senate Finance Committee passed the "American Infrastructure Investment
and Improvement Act" - the Baucus/Grassley bill- and by doing so they have
endorsed a tax-based system of funding the Aviation Trust Fund, and set the
stage for eliminating User Fees.

As you know, I called on you mid-afternoon Wednesday to contact your U.S.
Senator, and in retaliation to our efforts, subsequently Senators Trent Lott
(R-MS) and John Rockefeller (D-WV) wrote seven amendments to attack general
aviation. Your calls not only secured the vote on the Baucus/Grassley bill,
but the calls also assured that the committee would not adopt those seven
amendments. Great work!

This is a significant victory for general aviation. We still have challenges
ahead but with the continued support from you, I am confident we will be
successful!

Thanks so much,

Phil Boyer

AOPA President