Old December 14th 17, 11:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Casey[_2_]

Default Buy Glider without looking

It appears that a couple of the inquires I received are from scammers.

First guy got me down on price a little, said he would send a check, got my name and address. All coms via email and coms were very proper. Almost too good. He responded days after each of his inquires even when I responded immediately to his. I never received a check so I contacted an inquirer only a day after the deal with 1st buyer.

Second guy texted and took a long time to respond back. I looked up his area code in Oregon. Oregon is a long way from NC to buy a glider, or are there no decent glider on the west coast?
He wanted my Name and physical address and not my PO box. Later he wanted my email address to let me know the check was on the way. I said to just text me that info and that I do not give out my email address. I then asked him to call me or I would assume he is a scammer. He called and the connection was poor and delayed, but I was able to pick out a south African accent. Told him connection was too bad and I could not understand him. I asked for his name and pilot certificate number. He text back "Sorry am an engine, Marine engine. and i only request for my son Birthday gift. His a pilot." BTW, first guy was also buyer glider for his son.

BTW, I have sold many high value items over the web. Once I received a stolen check from church in Ohio. Another time received a counterfeit cashiers check from a bank in NY. Check looked real, but then the emblem was just so slightly blurred. Bank in NY did not have that check number on file. Never heard back from either of those guys. And there have been several dozen more I've either ignored or played around with. Talked to a guy in Kenya for awhile on the phone once. I could hear other conversations in the background.

So my conclusion is either; 1) scammers are hitting Wings and Wheels, or 2) fellow sellers are trying to discourage other sellers with possibly similar gliders to withdraw their ad due to getting frustrated with scammers, leaving less completion form them in selling their gliders.

Anything is possible.