Old November 22nd 07, 05:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_2_]

Default Sears tools

"cavelamb himself" wrote

It was designed for NiCds of a certain size.
What would new technology higher capacity batteries do to the charger?

I have never seen a cheap charger that would hurt itself by trying to put
out more charge to a big pack. They just sit there and put out the maximum
they are rated for, for as long as you leave them plugged in.

Another note on that; don't trust the specs on the charger, as I have seen
chargers that would put out over 50% more than what they said they would put
out, and a few that put out significantly less.

They only thing you need to do when charging with a smaller charger than is
ideal, is to charge for a longer period of time.

If you have a 120 milliamp output charger (and that is what it puts out) and
you have a fully drained 1200 milliamp hour battery, it needs to charge for
11 hours. You'all have to do the math for your specific situation.

As I posted in another reply in this thread, you should definitely have some
type of system to turn the damn charger off, or it _will_ kill your new pack
by over charging.

I have also seen people plug dumb chargers into weekly timers after they are
charged to give it a bump once a week, to keep up with the self discharge
characteristics of the battery.
--
Jim in NC