Old June 15th 04, 02:21 AM
Dan Thomas

(Bob Olds) wrote in message . com...
" jls" wrote in message ...
"Paul Anton" wrote in message
What can anyone tell me about "loss of oil pump prime" on a small
Continental?

I have heard of it in the past and it has happened to me.

The oil pump gear cover plate inside the case is leaking oil.
It's a metal-to-metal fit to the case, and if the rebuilder doesn't
use a bit of sealant on it the oil will gradually drain out of the
pump gears, leaving them dry and unable to generate enough suction to
raise the oil from the tank. Pumping a bit of oil through the temp
probe hole or whatever wets the gears again and it'll go to work.
Tipping the airplane forward might help, if it's a taildragger, as the
residual oil in the screen would run forward and drop into the pump.

Dan