Old January 6th 06, 04:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default Fiberglass adhesion to aluminum?

On Thu, 05 Jan 2006 22:45:58 -0600, wrote:

I've got some slight cracking in my aluminum nosebowl and have stop
drilled them twice.
I'm considering backing the cracks with fiberglass in hopes to keep the
vibration down.
How well does fiberglass adhere to aluminum?
What system is better.
I have easy access to the West system chemicals.

Any hints? Alodine first?

Thanks

Dave

I filled in the starter hole on an aluminum tri-pacer cowl with a
peice of aluminum and a layer of fiberglass cloth with west epoxy on
each side. All I did was give it a good scub with scotchbrite before
laying it up. 4 years in service with no problems. From looking around
at my airport though it seems the accepted practice on certified
planes is to rivet a patch on the inside.