Old November 5th 07, 05:54 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Pat Heuvel

Default SO WHAT DID YOUR PARENTS DO IN THE BIG WAR

Ron wrote:
"SHIVER ME TIMBERS" wrote in message
Well after watching the Ken Burns series THE WAR ad naseum ad naseum,
I thought I'd come into the group today with one of my curious questions.

What did your parents, family, etc. do in the big WWII.

Mine were born while their fathers were dodgeing slave labour under Hun
control. Basically what that means is: they were starving before they could
properly speak in the winter of 44-45. They were saved by british and
amarican bombers dropping food during Operation Manna (British) / Operation
Chowhound (US) (
http://www.heureka.clara.net/lincoln...tion-manna.htm )

Ron

My (Dutch) father worked in Dresden as a labourer, but also had a talent
for forging travel papers to get himself, and people not liked by the
nazis, out of Germany. He worked with the Dutch underground. He left
Dresden to work in Arnhem when the Germans cracked down after finding so
many people slipped through their fingers with false documents. He lived
in Zevenaar with my mother, but both were born in Deventer. They also
helped evacuate downed pilots and others out of Holland to England.

He died last year, and my only regret was to never have gotten his story
on tape!

Pat