Old February 24th 18, 12:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Hero emulation

I mentored my younger brother many years ago before his first contest in glass. Moderate summer day in Ohio, not much wind. We briefed it before, did lead-follow, advised the gliderport of our intentions, kept each other in touch via radio all the way in on final glide and through pull up and landing, and debriefed afterward.

I like low finishes. Did I say they were fun? But even when they were commonly allowed, there were places I wouldn't do them: e.g., New Castle and Sugarbush on ridge/wave days, Fairfield on high wind days, Uvalde during a rain shower, Hobbs ahead of a gust front, Minden some days, almost anywhere near a T-storm. Because you just don't know what might be there.

Chip Bearden