Old January 14th 16, 01:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
David Crimmins

Default Dick's Waves

In his flight test reports Richard H. Johnson usually included an
assessment of the glider's wing condition.
He often sites 0.004" as being a acceptable degree of waviness. I'm
assuming this is wave height, but over what length?

The reason for asking, is I'm current having my wings refinished and I want
to determine how much of the spar shrinkage needs to be corrected.
I'm thinking that a flat spot in the wing profile can be tolerated as long
as the transition is gradual. The current distortion isn't too bad and
could most likely be fixed with a extra coat or 2 of gel confined to the
spar area. However, not sure thick gel is a good idea on an asw20 with
such flexible wings.

Thanks
David