Old January 14th 16, 01:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Dick's Waves

On Thursday, January 14, 2016 at 8:30:07 AM UTC-5, David Crimmins wrote:
In his flight test reports Richard H. Johnson usually included an
assessment of the glider's wing condition.
He often sites 0.004" as being a acceptable degree of waviness. I'm
assuming this is wave height, but over what length?

The reason for asking, is I'm current having my wings refinished and I want
to determine how much of the spar shrinkage needs to be corrected.
I'm thinking that a flat spot in the wing profile can be tolerated as long
as the transition is gradual. The current distortion isn't too bad and
could most likely be fixed with a extra coat or 2 of gel confined to the
spar area. However, not sure thick gel is a good idea on an asw20 with
such flexible wings.

Thanks
David

The measurement Dick did used a dial indicator mounted in the middle of a block with 2 legs 1 inch away and 1 leg 1 inch away in the opposite direction. This was described as measuring over 2 inches.
If the glider is in refinishing now is the time to contour. This is a small amount of fill if the waves are as you describe. If there is some surfacing filler being used before final finish, a couple extra coats on that area, then contour sanded out will do the job.
Good luck
UH