Old March 16th 19, 02:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default Glider preparation for a competition

There's no reason you can't fly off the contest unless the sponsor
closes flying to everyone but contestants.Â* By all means, hang out,
observe, ask questions (without being intrusive), and then, after the
grid launches, take off yourself to enjoy the flying.Â* Try to get back
before the leaders so you can watch everyone come home and, perhaps, get
on a retrieve crew.Â* It's a lot of fun, but I wouldn't give up a week of
flying...

On 3/15/2019 4:58 PM, JS wrote:
On Friday, March 15, 2019 at 3:42:17 PM UTC-7, Nick Kennedy wrote:
Ya Know, I understand the "crew first" Idea.
NO WAY could I do that thou, hang out on the ground for a week watching everyone fly while my perfectly good plane sits in the trailer, but that's just me. Just get a mentor, its not that hard to figure it out.
The OP says he has some XC experience, now go get some more.
Sitting on the ground, while everyone else heads for the clouds, is not gonna be much fun.

Nick, you should try crewing for your own glider, rather than it sitting in the trailer on a hot 18,000' scattered cu day.
Not as bad as it appears... For one thing you get to enjoy various brews from P7's cooler, with no harRASsment about how bad it might be for you.
Jim

--
Dan, 5J