Old October 3rd 07, 05:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Le Chaud Lapin

Default Backwash Causes Lift?

On Oct 2, 10:23 pm, Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
But there is an ace in hole. Some books say that a plane will stall
if AOA is above critical angle. I do not think this is quite true.

It's precisely true since th ecritical angle is defined by the stall.

What is the definition of a stall anyway?

I'm saying that, if you take a plane with certain critical angle,
throw away engine, put on an engine that can generate 10x the thrust,
the plane should still fly, even if you exceed critical angle.

These books imply that the critical angle is angle at with bad things
happen above the wing, and because of that, the plane will fall. I'm
saying that, you can have all the bad things happen above the wing and
still be able to keep the plane aloft due to compression that occurs
beneath the wing.

Of course, I have only been doing this officially 7 weeks, so I might
be wrong.

-Le Chaud Lapin-