Old May 20th 20, 06:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Foster

Default AOA indicator poll.

On Tuesday, May 19, 2020 at 9:54:55 PM UTC-6, SoaringXCellence wrote:
Luc,

Have you looked at the AOA indicators that are currently used in the GA fleet (mostly experimental aircraft)? There is a "standar" (sort of) depiction of the Aoa that you might want to follow.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus...ndicators.html

Most of these use similar patterns to indicate approaching the stall. The center blue dot could be the optimal glide angle for a glider. Many of these systems also have an aural component that aggressively announces "PUSH" if you don't respond to less insistent prompts.

I'm not sure we need multiple ways to demonstrate the same phenomenon.

Mike

I don't mean to be "that guy", but how is this different from a side-mounted yaw string (functionally, that is)? Some pilots mount a yaw string to the side of the canopy which has a vertical excursion, which indicates relative angle of the wind. With a stripe of electrical tape laid out on the inside of the canopy at the angle of stall, this should give you the same information at a much reduced cost, I would think.