Old December 8th 20, 02:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Galloway[_2_]

Default National Flat Parachute

On Tuesday, 8 December 2020 at 03:15:51 UTC, wrote:
On Monday, December 7, 2020 at 10:01:13 PM UTC-5, Papa3 wrote:
I've been flying with National 425s (had 2 over the last 30 years or so) and found them very comfortable. Someone recently mentioned to me that the National Flat is even better. Since I'm due for a new chute soon, thought I'd check.

Does anyone have experience using one in a Schleicher ASG-29.

I know, I know... parachute comfort is a very personal thing. But I'm really just wondering if the dimensions (slightly longer and wider container) are an issue. I'm pretty average proportions for a 6'0 205-210# guy.

Thanks in advance,

P3

My National 360 is the only chute I have flown with, and I have never found it comfortable, though it is better in my current ship than it had been before. 5'11", 185#. Just found a rigger - after 13 years - who is willing to bias it during repack to help with lumbar support. Allen Silver has a great reputation for advising on fit issues.

I have had a National Flat for about 10 years and would recommend it. It is the most comfortable chute I have worn in 44 years of regular gliding. It is softer than a Softie. They have a very adjustable harness so at 5'7" it fits me well and also fitted a very tall 100kg friend to whom I lent it for a few weeks. He emailed me after about 2 weeks of long hot flights in South Africa" and said "today is the first time I have thought about the chute. I guess that says it all. I have ordered one".