Old February 29th 08, 01:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Phil J

Default Way off topic, but it has do to with the French

On Feb 28, 3:29*pm, "Steven P. McNicoll"
wrote:
"Phil J" wrote in message

Definitely, not every weapon they had was superior. *But their
combination of fast motorized infantry supported with armor and dive-
bombers and their Blitzkrieg tactics made them pretty hard to beat.
Their fighter aircraft weren't too shabby either, especially the
FW-190.

The Blitzkrieg days were long gone by the time the Fw 190 appeared on the
scene.

You're right. I was thinking it was introduced earlier, but it didn't
come along till 1941.

One of the more surprising (to me) pieces of technology developed by
the Germans was the radio-controlled glide bomb used against
shipping. They were dropped from a bomber and flown into the target
by radio control. They also had radar-guided glide bombs, and near
the end of the war they were even working on a television-guided bomb,
but it was not perfected.

They weren't a factor in the war, but I think some of the most amazing
stuff designed in World War II was the asymmetrical aircraft by Blohm
and Voss. Definitely "outside of the box" thinking.

Phil