Old February 13th 04, 08:35 PM
Robert Ehrlich

chris wrote:

Robert Ehrlich wrote in message ...
At least in one country (France, where I live and fly) the Sparrowhawk
would be illegal. According to the french regulation, for a glider
to be considered as ultralight, it should be foot launchable, otherwise
it must be certified, or have an engine, i.e. not be a glider. So
the Sparrowhawk could only be a world-minus-one-country class glider.

I do not understand why a sparrowhawk would be "illegal" in France -
here in the US you have the option to either fly it ultralight or as
experimental [same rating as a large percentage of the "factory
experimental" experimental certificate. My mosquito is "experimental"
rather than standard type certificate.

Can you only fly gliders in france that have a standard type
certificate?

Chris

Yes, there is no experimental category. Your only choice is between
certified or ultralight, but for a glider to be considered as ultralight,
it should be either foot launchable or have an engine, i.e. be in the
category ULM, where the M means motorized.