Old October 24th 11, 04:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ASM

Default Cessna 182P tow plane

Our club, Seattle Glider Council is using, besides Pawnee, Cessna
182A. I don't have any performance charts and such data, but I can
tell you that we are towing behind it any glider that shows up at the
flight line. Just last Wednesday I towed a Nimbus 4D to an altitude of
6250' without any problems. Ephrata, WA gets quite hot during the
summer time and we had some issues with high engine oil temperature;
that was remedied by installing an oil cooler from Continental O/IO
520. After the installation oil temp. stayed were they supposed to.
Also, we are putting only 30 gallons of fuel into the tanks. That
permits us to fly 10 tows to around 4000' (EPH elevation is 1276')
and keep the plane on the light side. The rear seats and front
passenger seat are removed. The tow hook installed is non-swiveling
Schweizer, but I think that someone in our club is thinking about
installing the TOST hook (heard through the grapevine, don't know if
this true or not). I don't know if anyone has any performance charts
for towing operations, but keep looking, maybe somebody does. We are
operating on a paved runway. 20 degr. flaps for take-off and the
airplane like to fly at around 75 kts. Preferable glider position is
right behind the plane; if a pilot positions his/her glider in "High
Tow Position" then the climb rate will be reduced or it will just
stop. Hope this will help a little bit.

Jacek
Pasco, WA