View Single Post
Old June 8th 18, 12:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Average time to solo a student

On Thursday, June 7, 2018 at 8:40:12 PM UTC-4, SoaringXCellence wrote:
On Thursday, June 7, 2018 at 3:54:17 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Power transition. Soloed after 4 flights in a glider, flight #4 being a simulated rope break. All before lunch on my first day flying gliders.

Interestingly, the Add-on training to an existing certificate is not defined, except, that the pilot being trained is not a student pilot and therefore, by regulation, none of the "solo" requirements apply. The practical test proficiency and 10 solo flight are all that's required.

Again, with regard to these add-on ratings, there is often MUCH left out of the required knowledge by instructors who specialize in "add-on" training. There is not an additional knowledge test required, so the examiner is often the bearer of sad news when the very experienced airplane pilot cannot discus thermals, and all the other aspects of soaring flight.

But they and take-off and land!

Again stepping down from my soapbox.

Mike

Yup. No written. Soloed on Monday took commercial glider checkride on Friday. Commercial add on requires 20 solo flights. To get all the solos in before checkride I would leave lift land and take another tow. Examiner was a FAA inspector, so free checkride. I know I'm a bad person cause I didn't spend years running wings with an occasional flight to get my license.