Old February 11th 07, 12:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
Kev

Default First-hand video of a BRS deployment.

On Feb 10, 7:25 pm, "Kev" wrote:
Still, maybe it's a non-issue, since we don't seem to hear of lots of
collisions around VORs. Seems like mid-airs are mostly around
airports. Anyone know the real stats of locations offhand?

Never mind, I googled it myself, and here's a good summary from the
USAF:

1. Mid-air collisions generally occur during weekend daylight hours
56% of the accidents occurred in the afternoon.
32% of the accidents occurred in the morning.
2% of the accidents occurred at night, dusk, or dawn.
2. Most mid-air collisions occur under good visibility.
3. The majority of the aircraft involved in collisions are not on any
type of flight plan.
4. Nearly all accidents occur at or near uncontrolled airports and at
altitudes below 1000 ft.
5. Flight fatigue is not a major factor in most mid-air collisions.
6. The average flight time prior to the collision is 45 minutes. This
time varies from takeoff to over seven hours.
60% of the pilots on the mishap flight had been airborne thirty
minutes or less.
Only 6% had been flying longer than two hours.
7. Pilots of all experience levels are involved in mid-air collisions,
from the first solo ride to 20,000 hour veterans.

Kev