Old October 20th 20, 04:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
MNLou

Default Wheel brake effectiveness standards

I've been working all year on limiting my ground roll.

I have a LAK17AT that, supposedly, has weak drum brakes. I dispelled that rumor years ago by having full stick back and dropping the nose twice due to hard braking.

I added a 7# brass tailwheel last year which helped both the CG and helped keep the tail on the ground when braking. (Also, helped tail bouncing on early takeoff ground roll.)

I did run into one situation that caused me some angst a few weeks ago. Landed well, stick back, lots of brake. Turned off the runway and hit the brake again. Nope, no joy - big brake fade. I squeezed as hard as I could and stopped with my nose just into the cropland.

Any good ideas on how to limit brake fade? Other than, of course, limit high speed brake use?

Lou