Old October 14th 17, 09:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Walsh

Default Beringer Disc Brake Kit for Schemm-Hirth gliders - experience and effectiveness?

At 20:29 14 October 2017, WaltWX wrote:
Can anyone recommend the Beringer disc brake kit for

Ventus, Discus or
Sche=
mmp-Hirth gliders? I'm seriously considering retrofitting

my D2A after a
ne=
arly disastrous run off the runway up at Ely ... partially due

to fading
br=
ake (plenty of pilot error problems too...)

I'm especially interested in it's effectiveness to "... put the

glider up
o=
n it's nose..." in cases of an emergency stop. Also, any

issues or
procedur=
es for infield tire replacements.

Walt Rogers WX

Not quite on topic but I have a Beringer disk brake (standard
fit on the Antares 20E). The engineering is excellent, a joy to
behold and to work on, no problem with "on field"
maintenance, no special tools required. Factory is good to
deal with too. I'd assume their kit for SH gliders will be to
the same high standard. The only thing to remember is that
it apparently takes about 14 landings, using the brake
gently, to "bed-in" new disk/pads! This might be a problem if
you have to land-out before you've done 14 on-airfield
landings? Basically I'd recommend them.
Dave Walsh