Old October 15th 17, 04:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

Default Beringer Disc Brake Kit for Schemm-Hirth gliders - experience and effectiveness?

On Saturday, October 14, 2017 at 6:31:13 PM UTC-4, wrote:
I have a Beringer wheel on a JS1 and it is a nice piece of kit and has
worked and braked fine however, having had my eyes opened by helping a
colleague to change the tyre on a colleague's Antares, I wouldn't get one
again. If the tyre gets damaged and needs replaced you need to source the
expensive 10 ply tubeless aviation tyre and need to have the tyre changing
kit (plywood frames + metal spacer to compress the tyre) + lube + new O
ring kit. I recently bought all that to take on an expedition to South
Africa at total cost in UK over £350 and it took a few weeks to source
separately. Without it if I burst a tyre I reckoned I would be stuck
on the ground for a long time.

I recommend a spare wheel with mounted tire; makes a simple swap
quick and easy (I travel with such). These tubeless tires are much less
likely to have a problem then tubed types, but again a field repair is
troublesome. Anyway, I highly recommend the Beringer product.

Hope that helps!
Walt, give me a ring if any further questions,
Best Regards, Dave