Old October 15th 17, 04:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steven Shelton

Default Beringer Disc Brake Kit for Schemm-Hirth gliders - experience and effectiveness?

On Saturday, October 14, 2017 at 4:29:58 PM UTC-4, WaltWX wrote:
Can anyone recommend the Beringer disc brake kit for Ventus, Discus or Schemmp-Hirth gliders? I'm seriously considering retrofitting my D2A after a nearly disastrous run off the runway up at Ely ... partially due to fading brake (plenty of pilot error problems too...)

I'm especially interested in it's effectiveness to "... put the glider up on it's nose..." in cases of an emergency stop. Also, any issues or procedures for infield tire replacements.

Walt Rogers WXHello,

Monty of M&H was good enough to install a Beringer disc brake kit P/N STC-007 on my D2A a few years ago. Unfortunately I have not been able to fly the glider much since installation. What I can say is that the stopping power of the Beringer disk break to be about what you would expect compared to the four inch drum break, but not so much that I worry about putting the glider on it's nose. This may be because I have yet to properly condition the disk/pads. Proper conditioning requires around 20 landings according to their instructions. A lightweight pressure limiter can be purchased and installed in the hydraulic line should you need to limit the amount of force exerted by the brake calipers.

I believe the installation of the kit was straightforward with the exception that the fender and fender attachment point on the dampers had to be removed. In case you are unaware Berringer states " The kit is made only for Discus 2A with dampers on the landing gear. If you do not have dampers it is not possible to install the kit." The kit is delivered with an EASA Form 1. When asked, Beringer supplied us with a copy of EASA Supplemental Type Certificate 10041707 for my aircraft maintenance records.

I have not yet purchased a spare tire, required replacement o-ring or the Baringer tire changing tool but plan to do so when I begin flying regularly again. I do not want to be without them should I ever need them. I can't speak to the degree of difficulty in changing a tire on a Beringer rim because I have not yet done so but to me the process does not seem overly complicated if using the tire changing tool and appropriate torque wrench. The tire is from Aeroclassic and can be purchased from several vendors. Tire inflation is a healthy 5 bar/72 psi. On the whole I enjoy not having to deal with tire tubes and believe that a 10 PLY tire offers good protection against flats.

Be advised that according to their flight manual supplement installation of the kit reduces the maximum landing weight from 535 kg to 400 kg.

I was trained to land with minimal controllable energy and I strive to achieve that goal on every landing. Still, it is nice to know that now, when I squeeze the brake lever the glider will stop.

Any further questions please just ask and I'll be happy to try and answer them.