Old September 17th 06, 01:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan Luke

Default Cessna Cardinal 177 RG II v. Piper Arrow III (70s) v. Piper Arrow III (brand new)

"SeeAndAvoid" wrote:

When I saw this topic I figured I liked both types and would read on.
Until I saw "Hawaii" and "club/leaseback". Horrible combination.
I spend a fair amount of time out there, and I've seen what that salt
air does to decent airplanes. You want to drop half a mil on something
that will be eaten alive, and you think it'll last 30 years? It may, but
it'll probably be worth half or less what it'd be worth anywhere else.
Those guys you know that have had those airplanes that long, they
probably have no choice! Double whammy - hard to unload
corroded airplanes, and in the middle of the Pacific, those airplanes
are stuck there for life.

Proper anti-corrosion treatment will keep the white powder off. I stress
*proper*. That means taking off all the inspection plates, wing and
empennage tips, etc. and using the right tools and techniques per the mfr's
recommendations.

My airplane has been parked 2 mi. from Mobile Bay for nearly 7 years and has
no corrosion. It gets Corrosion-X'd at every other annual.

--
Dan
C172RG at BFM