Old May 14th 11, 03:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jcarlyle

Default Small outlanding help for Android

Ramy,

Thanks for the tip! I settled on GPS to SMS for $0.99. Does exactly
what SPOT does for $100 annually. Yes, I know SPOT uses satellites,
but so far I've not been out of cell contact here on the East Coast
whenever I land out, so this app is good enough for my purposes (and I
carry an EPIRB if things are desperate).

-John

On May 13, 9:18*pm, Ramy wrote:
For iphone users, I found the free (if I recall correctly) app "SMS
GPS" very handy for sharing your location via SMS, Email or Facebook.
In all cases it sends a google map link, not like the Spot which from
some reason beyond me, only send google map link by email, not by SMS.
When I asked them, they claimed that "most people don't use smart
phones"... Right, people who use spot are not using smartphones...

Ramy