Old June 1st 15, 08:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Jet turbine reliability

On Monday, June 1, 2015 at 1:58:58 PM UTC-4, wrote:
I witnessed a jet-powered glider at the EAA event in Oshkosh.

My immediate thought was we could not allow them to fly at our gliderport..

The noise was beyond imagination. The neighbors simply would not tolerate the noise.

Tom Knauff

Mr. Knauff, I'm guessing you are referring to Bob "Airshow Bob" Carlton's Super Salto or BonusJet or SubSonex aircrafts which are all self launching and/or "show center" aircraft. You are correct that they are loud.

However, comparing one of Bob's aircraft to a JS-1 jet sustainer is an apples to oranges comparison. A sustainer jet has a totally different footprint and is not purposed to continually operate in the "cylinder" of a gliderport. Given a choice, your rural Ridge Soaring neighbors (or any other airport neighbors) would probably prefer the occasional passing "swoosh' of a sustainer jet as opposed to the frequent roar of your daily tow plane operation.