Old April 14th 08, 10:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Tost Disk Brake rebuild?

On Apr 14, 10:29*am, Paul Cordell wrote:
I discovered that my Nimbus 3D had lost it's wheel brake Saturday.
Fortunately, I still fly with the assumption that it, like many
gliders of the past don't have wheel brakes. * No damage done other
than a Long push back to the tiedown area.

Upon examination of the system, (and the puddle) it appears that it's
time for a rebuild of the caliper. * Who's got some advice on the
process? * *Any tricks??

Thanks for the advice in advance

Paul
Ephrata, WA

Tost calipers on DG's and I assume many sailplanes are made by
Cleveland and parts are available through AircraftSpruce.com.
The only differance is that Cleveland uses an O-ring compatable with
hydraulic oil and DG uses one compatable with brake fluid. The O-ring
shown on the Aircraft Spruce parts list is the one for use with
hydraulic oil but the correct O-ring material (EPDM) for poly-glycol
brake fluid can be purchased from mscdirect.com.
The size of the O-ring used on current DG's is 1/8 diameter, 1 ¼ I.D
and 1 ½ O.D. and it is available as part# 31953284 for $8.76 (box of
50). Your Nimbus may use a differant size.