Old April 16th 08, 03:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

Default Tost Disk Brake rebuild?

On Apr 15, 10:55 pm, "bumper" wrote:
Paul,

As Gary Evans mentioned, there are basically two brake fluids used in
gliders...

Well, pretty much. But:

When I was cobbling together a brake for my HP-18 a few years ago, I
found it really convenient to use a Yamaha TZ250 master cylinder (left
over from my misspent youth) with a Cleveland wheel and brake. The
motorcycle parts like the DOT 3 fluid, and the Cleveland stuff likes
the 5056.

I ended up using a silicone-based brake fluid, similar to what they
now sell as DOT 5 (also left over from the roadracing days) that
worked fine with both ends of the system. It also had enough color
that I could see it through the walls of the 1/8" OD Nylaflow tubing
that connected the two.

The whole system worked great, never leaked, and was trouble-free. And
since the master cylinder is diaphragm-vented as motorcycle brakes so
tend, it didn't drip at all when I turned the fuselage upside-down.

Thanks, Bob K.