Old April 18th 08, 09:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chris Reed[_2_]

Default UK - CAA consultation on Mode S transponders

I've just responded and received reference number 0088. If these numbers
are incremental, it really is urgent that all UK glider pilots respond!

The current proposals are for mandatory transponder use in all
controlled airspace, and the creation of Transponder Mandatory Zones
(effectively increasing controlled airspace).

I estimate that the cost of fitting a transponder to my Open Cirrus
might be 50% of the hull value, and operating costs could increase the
cost of my fling by 20%. The alternative is to squeeze my flying into
the increasingly limited amount of uncontrolled airspace.

The consultation is at:

http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?ca...90&pageid=9307