Old April 23rd 04, 08:29 PM
Krztalizer

Default review: new magazine "Bomber Legends"

A few days ago, I rec'd the premier issue of "Bomber Legends", a product of the
B-24 Liberator Club, based here in San Diego. For years, that org has produced
an outstanding heavy bomber magazine called "Briefings", guided by an old bud
named George Welsh. He is the current authority on B-24s but this new magazine
venture is shared with the other US bomber types used in WWII.

This first issue was very well done, slick newstand quality, lots of great
first hand stories and unpublished photos.

Articles included "Mediums were also out", a firsthand piece concerning a
'typical' 9th AF Marauder raid, written by the 497ths Lt. Col. Havener. It is
by far the best story in the magazine. Other articles were "Ploesti Reunion"
(last one for survivors of Operation Tidal Wave), "Silver Queen" about a B-24J
over Vienna, an update on the coming B-24 memorial (WOW), and "Heroism Aboard A
Fortress", the story of a crewman's 56 year wait for recognition of a selfless
act of heroism.

I have no connection to the magazine, but I definitely recommend it to fans of
US heavy bombers - I get the feeling they will always get more space in the mag
than the mediums (sorry, Art!), but at least they are included! Mr. Welsh and
co. have done their organization proud with this new magazine - you can check
them out at www.bomberlegends.com

v/r
Gordon
PS, killer color shots of B-26s in combat - how is that, Art?
USN SAR

An LZ is a place you want to land, not stay.