Old April 24th 04, 12:58 AM
Krztalizer

Havener is also the author of, "The Martin B-26 Marauder" the best book on
B-26's ever, published by TAB Aero.. The 497th was one of the 4 squadrons
that
made up the 344th bomb group. They were the 494th, the 495, the 496th and
the
497th. And Jack was a regular at most of our annual reunions. Never knew he
made Lt. Colonel though. But thanks for the heads up. I don't know what story
he has in the new mag, but I'll bet I've heard it a time or two.

His story in this issue concerns how the 8th and its 4-motor'd things always
got the press, at the expense of everyone else. Its an engaging story named
after a headline in Stars & Stripes: "8th AF Heavies Pound Germany. blah,
blah, blah.. fourth of fifth line down, ending the bold print was the simple
mention, "Mediums were also out.", which apparently didn't sit well with
Havener and the Marauder boys, having just returned from a bar fight over the
V-1 launch sites. You'd love it, Art. If you can't get a copy, let me know
and I'll shoot this one over to you.

v/r
Gordon
USN SAR

An LZ is a place you want to land, not stay.