Old August 24th 05, 01:56 PM
Scott

jls wrote:

FAA
rules require a person of suitable age and discretion to be at the

controls
when the aircraft is hand-propped.

Good advice, but how is that accomplished these days when the airports
are SO dead that there's beans and corn growing in the terminal building
in the layer of dust on the counter and you're out there by yourself
(like I am 99.5% of the time at my airport) ???

The best way to avoid runaways is to simply use a rope between the
tailspring and a hangar post or fence post or airport tie-down ring.

Sad to see this sort of thing happen

One thing I ALWAYS do before flipping my prop is to VISUALLY look at the
throttle control arm on the carb to be SURE it's at idle.

Very sorry to hear of the loss!!!

Scott "never owned a plane with an electric starter" Littfin
Corben Junior Ace