Old August 13th 08, 03:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JJ Sinclair

Default Any details on the Uvalde mid-air / bailout?

We don't have many contest mid-airs. *The last one I heard of was
also
at Uvalde, also in a thermal, but that resulted in much less damage
and both pilots got home ok.

I would tend to agree that we don't have too many mid-air collisions
in competition, one about every 4 years in my experience; Minden (2),
Ephratea (2), Tulare, Cal City, Uvalde (2). Lots of ships and good
soaring conditions are some factors that make mid-airs more likely to
occur. When entering a thermal, I slow up outside the circle then
merge in the side. Pulling up in the thermal has been the culprit in
about half the above mishaps and sadly, 3 pilots are no longer with
us!
JJ